Web design software or builder has evolved a lot over the last 29+ years. What started as text-based pages with hyperlinks in 1991 came the rise of HTML 5, Bootstrap, mobile-first websites, and full-fledged content experiences.
If you’re looking to create a website today, there are a lot of different routes you can take. Ultimately, it comes down to your coding knowledge and the features your web design software needs.
- For example, if you’re a small business in need of a quick website, a simple website design software builder like Wix is your best option.
- Ecommerce platforms make building ecommerce websites easy.
- And using your own web hosting with WordPress is your best choice if you’re planning to start a blog.
The choice is up to you.
To make your decision easier, I ranked and reviewed the best web design software to use this year. These reviews are based on the overall code base, functionalities, features for newbies, themes and templates, mobile-responsiveness, pricing, support, and more.
Let’s get started.
What is the Best Web Design Software?
Best Web design software or Builder For Small Businesses ($13 per month).
Wix is a SaaS web design software that helps you design your website with attractive templates and web design tools for beginners.
It provides a simple drag-and-drop editor that can help you create stunning web designs without any coding. You can also add plenty of effects like video backgrounds, animations, and scroll effects.
It also comes equipped with over 500 designer-made templates
To make things even easier, you can just answer a few business-related questions, and Wix will design your site tailored for you.
Apart from the templates, Wix has over 30 built-in media galleries. You can showcase your images, autoplay videos, and text in these galleries.
Wix also lets you design your site just the way you want with elements like:
- A blog to share ideas and grow your community.
- Logo Maker to design a professional logo for your site.
- Professional custom-domains for your site’s branding.
- Mobile-friendly themes & templates.
Wix can also help you with starting your own eCommerce store. You can also edit your website in the mobile view to optimize your website for smartphone users.
It also offers a personalized SEO plan based on your location, business, keywords, and location.
- Wix ADI – The Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) can build a highly personalized website with tailored content based on your few answers. You can also edit its features or add/remove any elements you want.
- Wix Corvid – It offers hassle-free coding with serverless computing. Achieve total design freedom by managing your web pages from integrated databases and adding your code in the built-in IDE. You can also work in your own environment and connect with 100s of APIs.
- Overlay Effects – Easily add multiple cool visual effects like shadows, flares, and reflections with Wix Photo Studio.
- Easily add alt text to background images for better SEO.
- You can collaborate with other designers by assigning multiple roles.
- Add scroll effects, video backgrounds, and animation to deliver an engaging experience.
- It also offers a professional logo maker to help you build your brand easily.
- It offers free images from Unsplash and its own media library.
Wix provides four paid plans:
- Combo: $13 per month for personal use.
- Unlimited: $17 per month for entrepreneurs & freelancers.
- Pro: $22 per month for complete online branding.
- VIP: $39 per month for priority support.
All the premium plans come with a 14-day free trial.
You can also use Wix for free, although the free plan doesn’t provide custom domain or branding functions.
2. ADOBE DREAMWEAVER
Best web design software for Custom Web Design Jobs for Clients ($20.99 per month).
Adobe Dreamweaver is a web builder platform that works as a fully-featured HTML web and programming editor. It offers a simplified and smart coding engine to help you manage dynamic websites easily.
Its access code hints help you edit and learn CSS, HTML, and other web standards. You can also use its visual aids to expedite the development and reduce the scope of errors
To help you go live faster, it offers a host of customizable templates that you can use to build:
- Highly customized mailers
- eCommerce pages
- About pages
- Blog pages
- And more
You can also quickly import assets from Adobe Stock or your own libraries. There’s a preview feature that helps you edit your site in real-time by showcasing the look and feel.builder
- Live View Editing – Easily edit image and text properties. You can add classes directly in the Live View and instantly preview your changes without switching to separate editing mode.
- Git Support – Easily collaborate with Git support while managing your source code. You can also execute all common tasks directly from the Git dashboard.
- It designs websites in such a way that they fit any screen size.
- Multi-monitor support for Windows machines.
- Leverage on edit linting to catch the errors while editing.
- Integration with OpenSSL, LibCURL, Xerces, Ruby, among others.
- You get a 7-days free trial.
- Leverage preemptive code suggestions for faster development.
- Easily insert colors, hyperlinks, fonts, headings, and more through the properties menu.
Adobe Dreamweaver provides two pricing plans:
- Adobe Dreamweaver Single App: $20.99 per month. Get Adobe Dreamweaver as part of Creative Cloud.
- Creative Cloud All Apps: $52.99 per month. Get Adobe Dreamweaver along with the entire collection of Adobe creative apps.
Students and teachers get a discount of up to 60 percent on the entire collection of Creative Cloud apps. You also get a 7-days free trial.
Best Free, Open-Source Image Editor That Can Design Websites (Free).
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free and open-source graphics editor for web design, image editing, free-form drawing, etc.
It provides several tools for high-quality photo manipulation and color management features for high-fidelity colors. GIMP’s high-quality framework also helps you handle scripted image manipulation efficiently. What’s more, it supports multiple languages like C, C++, Python, Perl, Scheme, and more.
Plus, GIMP lets you customize your working environment the way you want. For instance, you can change colors, widget spacing, and icon sizes to customize toolsets.
Then there are impressive photo enhancement features that let you:
- Fix perspective distortion in images caused by the camera lens.
- Make your photos stand out with numerous filters.
- Digitally touch up minor details with the healing tool.
- Eliminate lens’ barrel distortion and vignetting.
- All these features help you create high-quality images for your websites.
GIMP also supports multiple platforms, including GNU/Linux, Windows, and OS X. Other than this, it offers several third-party plugins and several customization options for enhanced web design experience.
- Photo Manipulation – Easily execute top-notch photo manipulation through retouching and restoring to creative composites.
- Graphic Design Elements – Produce icons, graphical design elements, and stunning art for user interface components, mockups, and more.
- Hardware Support – GIMP supports unique hardware devices like pressure and tilt sensitive tablets and a wide range of MIDI or USB controllers.
- GIMP lets you change its source code and share the changes.
- Convert images to multiple graphical file types like bmp, jpeg, pdf, pcx, mng, gif, ps, png, psd, svg, tga, tiff, and xpm.
- Easily add text and graphics-rich interactive banners.
- Scale images precisely through the menu bar.
- Use the Paintbrush tool to draw pictures easily.
- Efficiently customize the view and behavior of your work environment.
- Leverage the clone tool to clone elements with perspective instantly.
GIMP is 100% free to use
Best For Experienced Web Designers and Developers ($12 per month).
- Scroll-Based Animation – You can add scroll-based effects like a progress bar, parallax, precise reveal animations, and more. You can also transform styling, element sizes, and positions linked to scroll progress on a specific element or to the complete page.
- Multi-Step Animation – Easily build rich, timeline-based animations without any code. You can also customize the layout of the home and product pages.
- SEO Controls – Leverage Webflow Editor to update SEO like page titles, URLs, meta descriptions, open graph settings, etc.
Link movement and animation to the cursor position to grab user attention. Collaborate with other professionals by inviting multiple editors to work on the same website while keeping track of the work. Use 20 prebuilt animations and interactions to add a new feature instantly. Instantly control the playback of ‘Lottie animations’ and ‘After Effects’ through interaction triggers without writing any code. You can study the Interactions and Animations Course at Webflow University.
First, Webflow offers a forever-free plan with all the essential web design features. However, you won’t get a custom domain with the free plan.
For your personal branding, there are several paid plans.
Here are four site plans:
- Basic: $12 per month. For a simple site without an in-built CMS.
- CMS: $16 per month. For content-driven sites.
- Business: $36 per month. For high traffic marketing sites or blogs.
- Enterprise: Quote-based plan.
Then there are account plans based on the maximum number of designers allowed on a single project. Account plans start from $16 per month.
Best for Beginners in Need of a Simple Website ($5 per month).
- Marketing Campaigns – You can design beautiful newsletters and customers’ action-based emails to boost your marketing efforts.
- HTML/CSS Control – It offers total control over HTML and CSS to help you achieve unlimited customization with ease.
- Design Management – Easily save your designs and edits by marking them as templates for future use. You can also use older designs in other projects multiple times.
- Its intuitive mobile app helps you track the performance of your website easily.
- It provides web hosting, along with SSL certificates and DDoS Mitigation.
- 24/7 chat and email support.
- Add a website search bar to find anything on the website easily.
- Reply to comments and interact with visitors through the mobile app.
- It also offers a free plan with all the necessary features.
Weebly provides four plans:
- Free: $0 for basic use.
- Connect: $5 per month (for connecting a custom domain).
- Pro: $12 per month (for groups & organizations).
- Business: $25 per month (for small businesses & stores).